The Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana were founded in 1867 by four young sisters from Kentucky. At that time, the Ferdinand parish was home to many recent German immigrants, and they needed German-speaking sisters to teach and minister to them. The Benedictines answered the call.
This history is closely tied with the delicious baked goods the sisters sell today: they first began baking to support an annual German festival in Ferdinand. Their springerles (a traditional German cookie) were a hit, and the sisters saw an opportunity to live “by the work of their hands” as St. Benedict intended.
We’re proud to offer a variety of delicious treats from Monastery Baked Goods on Cedar House!